Aug 28

How do I insert page numbers in OpenOffice.org?

Insert > Fields > Page Number

I just had to post that so I will remember it. It was very non-obvious to me and I have spent considerable amounts of time trying to insert page numbers. I think I gave up several times before I stumbled over this. :-)

27 comments so far...

• Todd Said on September 28th, 2005 at 0:12:

I’m a high school teacher; essays are due today and I just used this to let a student know how to correctly format her paper. You’re right: it’s *very* non-obvious. I love blog entries like this that are short, sweet, and to the point.

Any idea of how to change the measurement of the margins from centimeters to inches? I’ve been fumbling around with that for a while and haven’t found it. I’m also trying to find how to set the default indent (when pressing the TAB key) to half an inch and can’t seem to stumble over that, either.

• Kalle Said on September 28th, 2005 at 14:33:

Sorry, not off the top of my head. Glad to have helped with the page numbers at least. :-)

• Fabio Parri Said on October 26th, 2005 at 20:14:

Any idea of how to start numbering pages not from the beginning of the document?

If you do, please let me know by email ;)

Fabio

• Sqeaky Said on November 4th, 2005 at 0:40:

Thank you for making this more clear. I used in the finalizing of an important document.

If you have more questions that could use answer like this come bug me for .

• Spencer Said on November 11th, 2006 at 6:07:

I also am looking for a way to not place the number on page 1. I want p. 2 to be #2 but don’t know how to eliminate the numbering on p. 1 without losing all the numbering.

• Kaj Kandler Said on November 28th, 2006 at 16:44:

There is a nice demonstration at Plan-B for OpenOffice.org – How to insert the page number in the footer.

I hope you enjoy my new service.

K
    P.S.: Double post because it butchered my first entry.

• Karl Jonsson Said on November 28th, 2006 at 22:05:

Strange. Anyway, I’ve deleted your first comment now.

• Mike Said on January 5th, 2007 at 13:56:

Thanks for publishing this – first result that came up on Google.

• Karl Jonsson Said on January 5th, 2007 at 14:31:

Cool :-)

• jay Said on February 13th, 2007 at 18:16:

i had to look it up, and i have been using open office for a year. its very stupid how they did it, anyone have a patch that updates stuff like this?

• Ha Hoang Hai Said on April 21st, 2007 at 3:29:

Thanks, however when I insert Page Number in footer, it display word “Page Number”. And I type in footer: 1 and next page also display 1. I don’t know how to fix this problem, please help me! Thank you very much.

• Ashley Said on October 18th, 2007 at 11:45:

To offset the page number count. IE starting counting from page 2, follow the instructions given above and then double click on the page number (on any page) this then brings up some additional offset simply set the offset to -1 (or whatever suits your needs) this then sets the page count to start from the second page.

• John Kimbell Said on January 23rd, 2008 at 21:03:

Well you must be very proud of yourself…and who told you you could eat my cookies?! Put that cookie down! NOW!

• Clement L. Rasul Said on August 15th, 2008 at 6:48:

To insert page number in Open Office, try:

1. Insert->Footer->Default (if you want it in footer, if you want it in the header, try Insert-> Header->Default)
    2. Insert, Fields, Page Number

If you want to start the page number to start on a different number say page 20, do:

1. Locate your cursor on the first paragraph where you want the page to start renumbering
    2. then go Format->Paragraph->Text Flow
    3. look for the Breaks, check Insert, and check “With Page Style”, then indicate your desired “Page Number”

Your solution about Page Offsets does not work beyond +3. I think it is a bug.

Hope that helps.

• Kate Johnson Said on September 16th, 2008 at 2:43:

Thank you so much! You just saved my English Essay!

• knight Said on November 4th, 2008 at 23:26:

thank you so much my paper needed header with a page number and i was searching on how to do it forever

• Sam Christy Said on November 25th, 2008 at 19:50:

Thanks! you’ve helped me a lot. :)

• Natasha Said on December 28th, 2008 at 23:40:

I still can’t figure out the page numbers!! I would like to start the page numbers, with page number 1, but on the document it is the fourth page… I would also like this to correspond with my table of contents…

Thanks to anybody who can help me figure this (should be very easy task!) out!

Natasha

• dood its bob Said on February 11th, 2009 at 0:11:

ty

• Recent Links Tagged With "insert" - JabberTags Said on April 18th, 2009 at 22:01:

[…] cjeromex on Sat 04-4-2009 Read the summary list (updated) Saved by Pizamstarz on Tue 31-3-2009 Comment on How to Insert Page Numbers in OpenOffice.org by laptop… Saved by marcoseiji on Tue 31-3-2009 Official Gaymariotti Odds on little Palin’s baby’s papa […]

• Nickoli Said on June 24th, 2009 at 9:11:

Thanks for the tip, helped me finish my English report paper.

• Samantha Said on December 10th, 2009 at 6:14:

here is a quick way

do this
    insert
    footer
    Default

then place ur cursor in the foot box

insert
    fields
    page number

then u can center it and u are set for a research paper or anything else! just had to do it!

thanks guys!

• vfeldkir Said on December 11th, 2009 at 19:51:

Thank you very much! You just saved my life. We share the same experience with OpenOffice.

• Just tia Said on February 3rd, 2010 at 19:32:

Openoffice is the most stupid I have ever encountered…I want to kill it

• Grill restaurant - Bar grill - Bar grill knoxville restaurant Said on August 25th, 2010 at 15:22:

[…] Karl Jonsson’s Weblog » How to Insert Page Numbers in OpenOffice.org 28 Aug 2005. Comment by Kalle — 2005-09-28 #. Comment by Fabio Parri — 2005-10-26 #. Pingback by Recent Links Tagged With “insert” – JabberTags Karl Jonsson’s Weblog » How to Insert Page Numbers in OpenOffice.org […]

• Meeting hotel naples - Playa hotel - Hotel naples Said on September 8th, 2010 at 2:58:

• Ret Said on October 24th, 2010 at 1:29: